Events are scheduled at the Research crop and animal farms, Field Days, and special conferences in the center. Upcoming Meetings
The Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1885 as the research arm of the College of Agriculture of the University of Kentucky, Kentucky's Land Grant Institution. In fulfillment of statewide responsibilities to serve the research needs of agriculture and rural citizens, experimental work is conducted under a variety of climatic and soil conditions in all parts of the state.
It was in response to requests by interested citizens that the West Kentucky Substation at Princeton was established by an act of the Kentucky Legislature on March 20,1924. The original 400 acres of land were donated by the citizens of Caldwell County, who raised funds by public subscription for the purchase. Formal ceremonies were held September 7,1925 for dedication of the Substation to "scientific agriculture and a better Kentucky."
With an initial staff of one, early program emphasis was placed on rebuilding the depleted cropland areas and applying conservation practices to the badly eroded steeper land. Experimental work on liming, fertilizer application, and use of improved seeding mixtures was begun and structures for crop and animal production research were added. Outstanding livestock herds were established and research with pastures, grain crops, tobacco, fruits, and vegetables was expanded.
As agriculture advanced in the state, so did the programs at Princeton. Additional land was provided for specialized studies, plot work was greatly increased, feeding and management research on swine and beef cattle was intensified, professional staff was added, and a new Research and Education Center facility was dedicated in October 1980. In 2000, we celebrated our 75th Anniversary with the publication of a History of the University of Kentucky Research and Education Center from 1925 -2000.
History of UKREC